Monday, January 14, 2008

Alien vs Predator Requiem


Don't ask how I ended catching this movie. And I even caught the previous one before, all the result of relentless persuasion and some peer pressure. Not being cynical or anything like that but sitting down to watch the conflict of 2 outer space monster races implicate humans isn’t my idea of appealing.

I have to admit that I had absolutely nil desire to sit in a cinema and watch grotesque scenes of aliens savagely killing humans, not to mention the facehuggers. But this time round, a superior addition joins the ranks of the aliens, the Predalien, a monstrous hybrid between the alien and predator. There were some assumptions that she’s the queen of the alien race.

In contrast to the previous setting in the Antarctica, Requiem takes place closer to home, which spells more trouble and destruction. The Predator’s craft crashes in Colorado Woods, sending facehuggers scurrying into the woods and eventually multiplying in the city.

And that’s the plot and show for you. Most of the movie is not so much about advancing the story but displaying scenes of alien horror. I have to commend that the scene distribution was pretty good, although most of the acting was bad. Maybe they were trying to cut down on the screaming but I don’t think an average human would be so calm seeing his subordinate hanged on a tree skinned. How most of the people in the movie manage to stay so calm after their alien encounters left me quite incredulous.

Only AvP fans would enjoy the gore but it’s not my idea of an enjoyable movie. Still I guess it’s worth catching with friends.

Alien vs Predator: Requiem