Thursday, September 30, 2010

Always an Interesting Character

Shoot was the most eventful today, in a bad way. What a bad end. It just poured for a while after we did 3 shots. And there was thunder.

Anyway, because I had to recharge the sound recorder's batteries, I had to isolate myself to the back of the Old Married Soldier's Quarters. That was the only place in the entire area with a socket.

Also seeking shelter from the rain was this road sweeper, whom I was annoyed with earlier for refusing to stop sweeping when we went for takes. Nevertheless, being in the same shelter and thinking he could be my potential subject for my documentary, I talked to him. To my surprise, after all that broken English and using an ancient mobile phone, he is a Singaporean. I thought he was a foreigner from the start and just went on assuming. He spoke with a stutter and is possible uneducated. But he has 3 children and his wife is a homemaker. His eldest son is working in DBS, the second one is serving his NS and the youngest is still in secondary school. He also lives comfortably in Ang Mo Kio.

The amazing thing is really how humble and contented he is with life. He could be like any other Singaporean seeking wealth and a good life. But he worked to get by. And that was another reason why I thought he was a foreigner. Few Singaporeans would lower themselves to sweep the roads. Add on the fact that I was totally played into stereotyping him as a foreigner.