Monday, September 12, 2011

Happy Mid-Autumn!

IMG_0141

Mid-Autumn is fun when friends and family gather for lantern, sparkles, mooncake and tea. I have to admit its my first lantern in many years. The tradition of lantern lighting seemed to have died and revived, at least in my world. Sometimes I think its better than CNY reunion dinners.

Had an encounter on my way home though.

I was at my lift waiting for a family to come out before entering. A mother was bringing her two children out to light lanterns. The domestic helper was with them. She was carrying for the daughter, one of those cellophane paper lanterns. (You know the kind you made in school with bamboo sticks and those annoying cellophane papers that we now call filters in film school.) So the maid was holding it and she knocked herself against the wall of the lift as she was coming out. There was a huge sound from the lantern but it didn't break.

The mother turn and bellowed "WAAAAATTTTIIIIII!!!!!!" I'm like what the freak, must she scream at the maid over a lantern that wasn't even damaged to start with. The maid knocked herself, shouldn't you be more concerned about her than your daughter's stupid lantern?

And as if that wasn't enough. I heard the daughter, about 8 years old, "If you spoil my lantern, you got money to pay anot?"

Seriously man, if that's what our kids are, we're doomed. I think Singapore would be better off being a state of China.

Recently been feeling a bit discouraged for some reason. It's possibly fueled by the encounters I had on Friday in Geylang. Gave me a sense of hopelessness.

I wished there was more fun on Sunday but the haze caused some lethargy.

I'm slowly returning to the same working life I used to have. And part of it is the need for something to look forward to. Right now, convocation and SIFF are NOT it. In fact I'm not looking forward to them at all. I'm suddenly craving for some Broasters Chicken, and some BBQ steamboat, black pepper crab would be nice too.