Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cherries make my world go round

Cherries

Cherries are one of my favourite fruits but I don't eat them often, particularly because it's expensive. But I found some on sale so I got them. I love cherries since I was a kid, especially the canned ones, those that you find on cakes. No prizes for guessing why. To me they were the sweetest things on earth. Anyway, when I grew up a little more, I was fed fresh cherries instead and I loved them.

On the side note, cherries contain potent antioxidants and have anti inflammatory properties. They are rich also in vitamin C. Plus one of my favourite desserts is the Cherry Jubilee, which consists of fresh cherries flambéed in liquor and served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It's unique to a Russian restaurant, Shashlik.

I found these cherries cheap and appealing because they seem to have a perfect dark shade of red and their skins reflected a natural shine. I felt compelled to take a picture. If you look carefully enough, you may even see my reflection in the cherry.

Kitty

On my way home one evening last week, I came across my favourite stray cat below my block. She had been around for a while and she's very obviously aging. I remember why I liked her. She doesn't get into fights with the other cats often. The strays in my neighbourhood gets into a fight every other day, probably because the estate is over-populated. Cats are everywhere. And they will stick around because my neighbours feed them regularly.

So that evening I sat there and played with her and watched her clean herself and took this picture. She has inspired me to go out and keep a photo journal of strays because some of them are really beautiful cats, like her. And I remember taking this picture of her some years back.