Wednesday, March 31, 2010

When all is done

Finally it's over, all diploma productions. Finally normality can ensue. Now moving on to solo project, essay, presentation and all the things that I've missed out.

It's strange and amazing how a production can change rapport between people. Mind you, this isn't a bitching post but I've developed opinions of certain people and it's quite apparent who the people in my circle of understanding are.

I respect directors who care for their crew and who allow their crew to do their magic for the film. Crew members aren't exactly minions but have a mind of their own and each person gets their work done differently. I guess directors and producers should respect that. A film could have been better if the director had given his crew space to work. I've contributed to all the diploma productions but I think I have the least ownership in yours. If having a tight reign wasn't enough, you give a vibe that you're better than everyone else. That's not cool for me.

It's just a diploma film, that's true. But that doesn't mean we use that as an excuse to lax on the making. After all, everyone wants the films to travel. If so, shouldn't we try to make it with industry standards? I remember a lecturer commending us on the fact that we don't let ourselves use the excuse of us being students to give low standards. But there's a fine line between laxing and working within means. Across all films, so much money had been unecessarily spent on various things. And people seem to think using an adaptor for primes made the film and the crew look more professional. I don't think it makes any difference. Personally the only good thing that came out of it was that we had an experience with a prime lens adaptor. I don't think the adaptor is a piece of crap but I don't think it's a gift from God either. What has it done for us other than create conflict? And the images that came out of it, I don't know what to say about them. To each their own preference maybe.

It's back to complaining about the school's curriculum for us and the fact that I still think I'm not learning enough. Why should people even need to fight for the roles they want to play? This concludes that level 2 had been a big disaapointment for me. The only role I appreciated having was being the appointed writer for one of the diploma films. My role as a cam op didn't boast very much because of, yet again, the adaptor. I couldn't do proper camera movements. It's actually bad for my ego.

Apart from the negative things, of course there have been people I really appreciate working with, who had been supportive and were consciously doing things for the benefit of the films.

Don't really know what to feel but Savage Garden's Crash and Burn always remind me of you.